Before they speak. I've learned this lesson the hard way. And sometimes, even when I think about things, and I know I SHOULDN'T say anything, I still do. But I'm fully convinced there are people who don't ever think before they talk.
Case in point. I have PCOS. Done. You can't reverse it, you can't cure it...all you can do is live with it. I've been taking a medication to regulate my insulin, and I'm not onto diet # 3. (No carbs...holy wow, so not easy!) However, over the past two weeks I have had three people...two co-workers and a friend that I don't talk to TOO often make snide/rude/mean comments in my direction about having children. Having children is an incredibly sensitive subject for me (and Brandon) at this point in time. We have been actively trying to conceive now for nine months. If things would have "worked out" the way we wanted, we would already have, or be about to have our precious first baby. Not so much. And now that I've received the diagnosis of PCOS, I feel it is important to educate people and make it a known disorder as opposed to "You have WHAT"....with that comes the discussion of babies...I get it. But the thing is, just because I mention that I have PCOS, it DOES NOT give you permission to comment on my inability to have children at the moment! You wouldn't have a discussion with someone who recently lost their leg in a car accident, and then begin complaining about how you hate your calfs because your muscle tone isn't right...would you? And if you would, SHAME ON YOU! At any rate, here are some dos and donts for dealing with women who are having fertility issues...
DO be empathetic
DO give lots of hugs and smiles
DO listen when she begins to update you on her condition
DO NOT constantly talk about pregnancy
DO NOT make JOKES about being childless....for the love of god.
DO NOT ask how "baby things are going" (oh yea, that was a fun one to field)
DO NOT ask if I have looked into adoption yet
and the biggest one.....
DO NOT AUTOMATICALLY ASSUME IT IS IMPOSSIBLE FOR ME TO CONCEIVE... The name of my blog is "positively hopeful" for a reason. Brandon and I remain POSITIVELY HOPEFUL that when the time is right we WILL be blessed with one, two, three, or more precious children to call our own. Whether that be through natural conception or through IVF or infertility treatments...please don't be such a downer!
That's it for now...and as one last note, Good luck with the recital this weekend DD girls, and GO IRMO SOCCER at state on Saturday!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment